Cartmel Grange
Cartmel Grange, Allithwaite Road, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria LA11 7EL
T: 01539 532 028

To learn more about Cartmel Grange, click here >>
Clarendon Grange Main Road, Great Clifton, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 1TR
T: 01900 605 316
To learn more about Clarendon Grange, click here >>
Eastcroft Grange, Scaw Road, High Harrington, Workington, Cumbria CA14 4LY
T: 01946 832 754

To learn more about Eastcroft Grange, click here >>
Linford Grange, 16 Lakes Lane, Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, MK16 8HP
T: 01908 217 096

To learn more about Linford Grange, click here >>
Pexton Road, Sheffield, Yorkshire S4 7DA
T: 0114 244 1223

To learn more about Pexton Grange, click here >>
Cartmel Grange
Clarendon Grange
East Croft Grange
Linford Grange
Pexton Grange
Funding Care

There has been a lot of recent publicity regarding the costs of getting care in the UK. This page aims to help with what care is avaialble at what cost and what funding may be avaialble to help with these costs.

However, changes are regularly being made to the system and we may not have the most up-to-date information on this website.

If you have specific questions or needs or just need guidance, please do not hesitate to contact us - we would be happy to help

What the state will normally provide

There was a time when we thought the state would look after us 'from cradle to grave'.
These days, the state still provides a level of care for the least well off. But if the state
thinks you can afford to pay, you will have to pay at least some of the costs of
accommodation and personal costs in a residential nursing home.
Briefly, there are three bands of support:

Your local authority may pay for the cost of your residential or nursing home care if
your capital is less than £12,750.
Your local authority will still pay for your accommodation and personal care, but
not fully, if your capital is between England £12,750 -£21,000. For every £250
you have over the lower amount, they will subtract £1 per week from the money
they contribute.
You will have to pay the full costs of your accommodation and personal care if your
capital is over England £21,000, Wales £21,500, Scotland £20,000
If your capital falls below the upper amount while you are in a care home, you will
become eligible for help from the local authority.
If you want a more expensive home than the authority is willing to pay for, you are
allowed to arrange a 'third party contribution' from another source.
Your home would be included in your assets only if you live alone, or you are both
moving into a care home. In addition, the local authority will disregard the value of
your home for 12 weeks after your admission to permanent nursing or residential
care. You will be expected to use all your income - including your pension, benefits,
and so on - to fund your care. However, you can keep £19.60 (£20.00 in Wales)
a week spending money.

What the NHS will normally provide

Even if you are paying all your own fees, the NHS now makes a contribution to your
nursing costs. Nursing care is defined as the care you are assessed as needing from a
registered nurse.
In England the NHS will pay a contribution towards the nursing part of your care that
they determine needs to be provided by a registered nurse in a nursing home. From 1
April 2006 the payment will be £40, £83, or £133 per week, depending on whether
your nursing needs are assessed as low, medium or high. This contribution applies
whether your care is funded privately or by the local authority. If you are paying your
own fees, you will still have to pay for accommodation and personal care (such as help
with dressing or bathing).

Where can I get more advice?

Paying for care is a complex subject, and everyone's situation is different. You should
seek advice about your own case. Among the organisations offering specialist advice are:

  • Charities such as Age Concern (0808 808 6060), Help the Aged (0808
    800 6565) and Counsel and Care (0845 300 7585)
  • Your local Social Services department
  • The Benefits Agency (0800 88 22 00)
  • The Nursing Homes Fees Agency (0800 99 88 33)
  • Independent financial advisers (call 0117 971 1177 for the names of
  • local IFAs)
  • Insurers who specialist in care fees planning
Will the local authority pay for care in my own home?
There is no simple answer. For care in a person's own home, each local authority makes
its own decisions about charges. Some authorities do offer free services, but will assess
your income and will charge you if your income is above a certain level.
Benefits which may help

Many people are hesitant about applying for benefits, but if you want to remain in your
own home, they can be extremely useful to you and your carers. For example,
Attendance Allowance does not depend on your savings or income, and could enable you
to contribute to the petrol costs of a neighbour who does your shopping, or pay for a
home help to do the tasks you can no longer manage. There are also benefits for people
under 65, and for carers. For example, Invalid Care Allowance is for people unable to
work because they are caring for someone.

Everyone's situation is different, and you should get advice. Try Age Concern (0808
808 6060
), Help the Aged (0800 800 6565) or the Benefits Agency (0800 882
, or in your local phone book).